Academic Dean - Achievement First (New Haven, CT)
Location: Hartford, CT; New Haven, CT; Bridgeport, CT
About Achievement First:
Achievement First is a non-profit charter school management organization that is creating a network of achievement-gap-closing public schools in New York, Connecticut and other high-need areas in the Northeast. Achievement First currently operates 22 schools in Brooklyn, NY, and New Haven, Bridgeport and Hartford, CT (and will expand to Rhode Island in 2013). Over the next five years, Achievement First plans to open 10-15 additional schools, spanning the full K-12 spectrum and creating college-prep opportunities for more than 12,000 urban students. Beyond our students and schools, Achievement First is an engaged and prominent partner in the larger conversation about how to improve public education and student achievement in our country. For more information about the Achievement First mission, model, our schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
Leading at Achievement First:
Achievement First invites dynamic educators to apply for the position of academic dean for the 2013-14 school year. This is an ideal position for a strong teacher or leader who would like to gain experience and development in school leadership, systems and project management and curricular design. Each school has a dean of students/culture, academic dean, director of school operations and principal. These leaders collaborate to ensure all students show dramatic student achievement gains and develop strong character skills to succeed in college and beyond. The primary responsibility of the academic dean is to envision, cultivate and lead an academic environment where every child reaches ambitious targets for school-wide levels of mastery. In addition to serving on the school's leadership team, s/he coaches a portfolio of teachers, takes leadership of a particular subject or grade level, teaches one to two sections of students and facilitates high-impact professional development for staff. This position requires an organized and thoughtful educator with adult leadership experience, deep passion for academic subject matter, a proven ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and a talent for inspiring outstanding achievement in children.
Essential Responsibilities of the Academic Dean Include but Are Not Limited to:
Cultivate high-achievement academic environment:
- Develop highly effective instructional curriculum and efficient schedule, in collaboration with principal and Team Teaching & Learning in the network support office.
- Analyze school wide data in order to design responsive student interventions.
- Devise and monitor high-impact support plans for struggling students.
- Track other useful academic data (e.g. homework completion rates); inspiringly communicate progress to students, teachers and parents.
Demonstrate exceptional teacher leadership:
- Directly coach a portfolio of teachers to help them master the Achievement First Essentials of Effective Instruction.
- Observe lessons regularly and deliver targeted feedback to teachers.
- Collaborate with grade/subject teams to plan units, lessons and assessments; regularly share feedback.
- Model outstanding instruction for teachers.
Facilitate excellent professional development
- Coordinate and manage creative, inspiring professional development sessions in line with school goals and priorities.
- Write thorough, thoughtful, actionable Professional Growth Plans (PGPs) for teachers.
- Direct the interim assessment process to ensure teachers are using current data to drive instruction; facilitate regular, meaningful interim assessment data debriefs with teachers.
Serve as an active member of the school leadership team
- Participate in regular leadership team meetings.
- Lead staff trainings at start and end of school year and on professional development days.
- Work closely with dean of students to support efforts in character development and positive school culture.
- Assist teacher leaders (e.g., coaches, grade team leaders) in developing leadership skills.
- Model the Achievement First professional and core values at all times; be a visible and highly engaged leader in the school community.
Desired Skills and Characteristics:
- Exemplary instructional and classroom management skills.
- Proven track record of meeting extremely high standards for student achievement.
- High level of personal organization and planning.
- Excellent communication skills with diverse constituents (teachers, parents, children, board members); clear writer, facilitator and public speaker.
- Proven ability to proactively lead by example, effectively manage adults, and seek out feedback.
- Team player; maturity, humility, strong work ethic, follow-through, sense of humor, and "roll-up-my-sleeves" attitude.
- Intellectual interest in curriculum development, assessment and models of instruction.
- Strong belief in the Achievement First mission and educational model.
- A bachelor's degree from a competitive college or university; master's degree preferred.
- At least 3 years of teaching experience with a record of high student achievement.
- Experience leading and managing adults.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
• Post ID: 5986354 newhaven